Thursday, August 22, 2013

Autism....

Autism is a scary word, and one of the last words a parent wants to use as a descriptor for their child! In the news out of Canada this week, came an anonymous letter sent to a family about their autistic son. I originally thought, and prayed, that it was a joke. But, as the media coverage grew on it, my heart hurt for Max's family, especially his mom. It's that pit-in-your-stomach hurt that you know, in some way, what and how she's feeling. 

We've been living with autism for almost 10 years now. My son was diagnosed at 3 with "autistic tendencies". He spoke, but he couldn't carry on a conversation with you or tell you that his tummy hurt or he didn't feel good. When he wanted something, chocolate milk for instance, he would say "ya want some chocolate milk?" instead of say "I want some chocolate milk." But, He also had some MAD reading skills!! He started reading at 16 months and never stopped. He wasn't a hand flapper and didn't line things up constantly, but he liked his routine! 

Right before he was diagnosed, he started biting. Of course he ONLY did it at church! Double whammy....a mom of an autistic boy AND a biter!!! WOW!!!! You would think that church would've been a safe place to go through this. Some people were great, but others....not so much. I was a first time mom and went home crying every Sunday after hearing "you should bite him back" or "spank him more" or "teach him sign language so he can tell the kids no that are trying to take his toy away" or "people aren't bringing their kids because of him" and lastly "you're a bad mom because you keep bringing him here". Never mind the fact that I didn't go to a service for almost a year so I could sit in his class with him. I was doing all I could do, but it obviously wasn't enough.  People are scared of what they don't know, and sometimes don't treat people like they should. It's sad to say that we had so many problems at church...even to him being picked on...but not everyone is like that. There are some precious people at my church, who love my son and are great with him!!!! I just wish there had been more!  (**** My church now has a special needs class and I'm so thankful for all they do in there!!!****)  

Autism scares people. I can see it in their eyes...especially when I explain I have an high functioning autistic son. I get a lot of "I'm so sorry" or "but he looks so normal!!" Of course he does, he doesn't have 3 heads, his brain just works a bit differently. Autism is hard. It's not fun. But it's how God made B-Man. He entrusted Hubby and I to raise him. I feel honored that God gave him to us. Do I wish things were different? Not anymore. I know that B is the sweetest young man I know and I'm so thankful for him...autism just adds to his character! :) 

So to Max's mom Karla & his family, I say, just keep loving your precious boy and keep educating people. People are scared of what they don't know. So, educate them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment